Professor and Chair
Research and Teaching Interests:
West European and American literature and culture of XIX-XX centuries, literature as discourse, reception studies, history of the book
Introduction into Cultural Communication Theory
Pragmatics of Cultural Communication
Anthropology of Reading
The Making of 19th Century Literary Imagination
19th Century West European Literature: Romanticism
19th Century West European Literature: The Age of Realism
19th Century American Novel
American Poetry from the Puritans to Walt Whitman
Autobiography in America
- “Conversation in American”: Discourse of Bargaining in the American Literary Tradition. Moscow: NLO, 2003.
- Finding the Voice. Poetic Tradition in America. Moscow University Press, 1994.
- Self Made Man as Image and Profile. The Experience of American Culture. Moscow: Mass Communications Institute, 1993.
- XX Century Poetry in America: Discovering the Modernity. Moscow: Moscow University Press, 1989.
- Poetry of Walt Whitman. Moscow: Moscow University Press, 1982.
Selected Recent Articles and Chapters
- “Poetic Renaissance”. Imagism. E.L.Masters. Vachel Lindsay. W.C.Williams. W. Stevens. – History of American Literature. Moscow, Institute of World Literature, V. 6, 2010.
- Reading Differently as a Cultural Challenge in Russia: On Literature, National Unity, and the Promises of Pluralism.// Dilemmas of Diversity After the Cold War. Eds. M. Rivkin-Fish and E. Trubina Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington 2010.
- Walt Whitman. Emily Dickinson. – History of American Literature. Moscow, Institute of World Literature, V. 5, 2009.
- Poe’s Prose and the Aesthetics of Advertising. - Moscow University School of Philology Bulletin. Issue 6, 2009.
- Art as Intermedium: Romantic Models of Creativity. - Liki Vremeni. Moscow University Press, 2009.
- Whitman’s Project of Creative Democracy. – Inostrannaya Literatura, 2009, n. 7.
- Radical of the Imagination. - Voprosi Literatury, 2009 n.6.
- “Artless Art” in the Market of Values. – Translit, 2009, n.5.
- Silvia Plath: Poetry of Pain. – S.Plath. Collected Poems. Moscow, AST, 2008.
- Contemporary Metaphors of Reading. – New Literary Review, 2007, n.87.
- Emily Dickinson’s Journey from America to Russia. - Inostrannaya Literatura, 2007, n.10.
- Poetry of Consumption: Rhymes of the Cultural Revolution. – Consumption and Communication: Russian and American Contexts. University of Saint-Petersburg Press, 2007.
- Reading Classics and Ourselves. In: Canonization of Literature. - International Forum on Research of Literature and the System of Humanities. Capital Normal University Beijing, 2007.
- “Body Electric”: Walt Whitman as a Cultural Construct. – Inostrannaya Literatura, 2007, n.5.
- On Poetry and advertising. – Counterpoint. Collection of articles in Honor of G. Belaya. Moscow, RSUH Press, 2005.
- Whitman’s project of “Creative Democracy”. - Inostrannaya Literatura, 2009 n.7.
- Boston School. O.W. Holmes. J.R. Lowell. – History of American Literature. Moscow, Institute of World Literature, v.3 2004.
- American Literature. - History of West European and American Literature in the XX Century. Moscow University Press, 2003.
- etween Language and Discourse: Russian Americanists in Search of Definition. - American Studies International. Feb. 2003, vol. XLI Communication “In the Higher Sense”: Young Thoreau and Young Dostoyevski. - American Studies International. Feb. 2003, vol. XLI “New Man” as New Writer and New Reader: Essays in Russian and American Radicalism. - (Mis)understanding Postmodernism and Fiction of Politics, Politics of Fiction, Univerzita Palackeho v Olomouci: Olomouc, 2003.
- Blueprints for Popular Culture (Mid-19th Century Discussions between America and Russia). - Rediscovering America. American Studies in the New Century. South Asian Publishers: New Delhi, 2001.
- Between language and Discourse: Crisis of Communication. – New Literary Review., 2001, n.50.
- American Way of Speech as a Fictional Model; M. Bakhtin as a Transatlantic Traveller. - Predecessors. Intellectual Lineages in American Studies. Amsterdam, 1999.
- Alexander Pushkin State medal, 2003
- Fulbright scholarship, 1994 (Duke University)
- Kennedy Institute scholarship, 1997 (FU Berlin).
- International Forum for US Studies (IFSS) scholarship, 2000 (University of Iowa)
- Salzburg Seminar Fellowships
Associations, Advisory Boards, Editorial Boards:
Board Member, Administrative Board of Moscow University
Board Member, Administrative Board of the School of Philology, Moscow University
Board Member, Specialized Dissertation Board for West-European and Slavic Literatures, School of Philology, Moscow University
Board Member, Russian Association for American Studies (RAAS)
Board Member, European Association of American Studies (EAAS)
Member, Reception Study Society (RSS)
Member, Board of Rusian Fulbright Alumni Association Association (2001—2011 — President )
Member, Board of Editors, “New Literary Review”
Member, Board of Editors, “USA-Canada. Economics, Politics, Culture”
Member, Board of Editors, “Inostrannaya Literatura”
Member, Board of Editors, “Vestnik MGU. Ser.9 Philology”
Member, Board of Editors, “Philology and Humanity” (Barnaul)
Member, Board of Editors, “Forum for World Literature Studies” (Shanghai)